Thursday 19 November 2009

Jubilee Hair Salon


*Jubilee Hair Salon - New hairdresser*

My sister came back one evening about two months ago now sporting such a dramatic new look that I almost didn't recognise her. After having to ask for the details of her new hairdresser a million times I finally got the name (with the promise of M&S piggy sweets in return - she's just turned 19 but is the baby of the family).

So I went in and booked an appointment after work this Monday (turns out its just down the road from where I'm temping at the moment), two days before my graduation ceremony. Prior to this I hadn't actually actually paid for my hair and had been living the student life for a year or two going to model appointments at a salon just off Oxford Street. I'm a very low maintenance hair person and don't bother brushing it most of the time. Its not exactly un-manageable.

Jubilee Hair Salon is located near Tottenham Court Road station in the Korean district of London opposite the food store. The place is home to great Japanese and Korean stylists. My stylist was Yoshie, whose name I got from an online review. She listened to what I wanted, gave me her own opinions on whether this would suit my face shape, and generally played it safe, letting me know whenever she was about to do anything, as opposed to just chopping. I also got reassurance as I was very worried about getting the fringe I wanted to try, having not had one for about 13 years. Seeing about 12 inches of hair fall in front of my eyes freaked me out a but she did it so fast I didn't have time to dwell on it much, thinking 'well that's done, not much I can do now!'. I also had about 3 inches cut off the rest.

For those of you interested, the address is: 28 Denmark Street, WC2H 8NP. Telephone number 020 7240 5999



It doesn't look like much from the outside, or even inside rather (nothing like a top London salon if I were to compare to other places I've been in the past), but don't let this fool you. I was also told that it had recently been refurbished.

I ended up paying £45 because of the length of my hair. Other reviews which I have seen online put the average price for women between £29 and £39. I was also told by my sister later on that they do student discounts. Compared to places like Toni & Guy its a bargain! I'd been quoted in the £30s on my appointment-making visit so was a little dissapointed but overall happy with the result, speed, and friendliness of employees.

The result is my blog profile pic located in the upper left of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment