Saturday 14 November 2009

Jimmy Choo for H&M (London, UK): SCORE!


*UPDATE*

I had one of the best retail experiences this morning, am not nursing any injuries, and managed to score quite a range of items at the Jimmy Choo for H&M collaboration launch. Definitely a successful shopping trip and well worth the wait!

I left my house just before 7am this morning and headed to Convent Garden to the Long Acre branch of H&M. When I got there at 7.15am I was bemused (although not surprised) to discover a group of people with a tent right in the front entrance. 'Wow this queue isn't that bad' I thought on arriving, and then I followed it...right around the building and down the alley. I thought, crap I probably didn't make the first 160 people who get wristbands and alloted shopping times in the Accessories area.

Turns out one of the girls in a group behind me went to count and we were between 85 and 95 in line. Brilliant!




It started raining and staff came around to hand out umbrellas, although nearly everyone had already come prepared (UGG boots and all). The wristbands were handed out around 8.15am and mine turned out to be Orange, in the 5th group of 20.

Although we ended up waiting a few hours, I got chatting to some really nice people in front and behind me in the queue so in the end it didn't feel like we were there that long despite the rain and cold. It was all very civilised and there was a general air of excitement about, especially when the first shoppers emerged with their beautiful royal blue-coloured bags.



I doubt it was the same in the Oxford Circus branch although I'm curious to find out. The whole event was planned with military precision and I was very impressed. There were no arguments over items, no catfights, no treading on toes. The whole shopping process ended up taking a lot less time than anticipated, most likely due to the fact that many had already decided what they wanted to buy from looking at the collection in shop windows and online so the 10minutes was enough. I ended up taking the last pairs of two styles in a size 4 and 5.



I will be wearing these peep-toe grey suede boots to my graduation next week to go with a dress I bought recently for the ocassion.



I'm not 100% about these 'fierce' heels although they look amazing. They're about 6 inches and I doubt I'll be able to walk in them frankly. There is a very small chance they may appear on eBay soon. Am kicking myself for not getting the blue sandals as a quick check has already revealed people bidding on eBay at double the original retail price (the scarcity principle is amazing), and I'm definitely poorer now! But then another part of me thought how unfair it is of people to buy a lot with the intention of selling them on when there are people out there dying to get them in store to their dissapointment and cannot afford such mark ups.

Other purchases included the studded belt, small leather bag, earrings, and matching bracelet.




I tried on the sequin cardigan, leather dress, and leather trousers - all which looked great but eventually I had to take finances into consideration along with the fact the look may not be 'in' for very long, although I admit fashion trends do have a way of re-emerging every decade or so. Clothes were really the only items there was still an abundance of on the racks by the time I left the store. But then that was before the doors were open to the general public. It felt very exclusive for the people who bothered to queue as the rest of the store was closed off to everyone until the 160 had finished shopping. There were no changing room queues and assistance was at hand everywhere. An all round marketing and PR success for H&M I feel.

One of the most surprising things that happened was that I got talking to a woman in front of me in the queue who had just launched her own business, and guess what? Is currently looking for an entry-ish marketing person to train up and incorporate as a new member of staff. So not only did I score some Jimmy Choo, I also scored a business card and potential job lead. How's that for random?!

The final Jimmy Choo for H&M shopping spree result:


Apologies for the picture quality - it doesn't do the items much justice. The D90 is currently in Johannesburg with my bf.

No comments:

Post a Comment