Thursday 2 July 2009

Oh the joys of being one-legged

So I finally got my new baby (well actually its mine and Ty's first joint asset lol) - my Digital SLR Nikon D90 and its a beauty! Have been playing around with it and doing some reading around the technical stuff but I really really want to take it out around London to start experimenting (looking like a typical East Asian tourist no doubt), but I can't because I'm stuck in this damn plastercast. My clumsiness sometimes fails to amaze...the funniest part of it all is that I managed to fracture my ankle flat-footed rather than in one of my fabulously high heels. Go figure.

I'll say one thing about being one-legged, it really does make one appreciate having two legs and being able to walk normally - similar to the appreciation I had for being able to flush toilet paper down the toilet after my travels in Central America in 2005 and not having a constantly dodgy belly. Walking is something I think many of us today take for granted, especially with our use of cars - although this doesnt apply to me because: (1) I still don't have my licence, and (2) I don't have a car (which would presumably be linked to 1). Additionally its given me a much greater respect to those permanently disabled who have to deal with the constant frustration of not being 100% able...although saying this I've come across some amazing people who are capable of much more physically than people without disabilities.

The point is I believe things happen in life for a reason and this latest accident was followed by a previous few days of tripping over and breaking an internet router, falling up the stairs and getting some lovely bruises among other small acts of clumsiness. Maybe this time (the doctor says my foot could take 6-8 weeks to fully heal - in the midst of an amazingly sunny hot British summer), I'll finally learn to be more careful.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog and I am glad that I found it. I hope to see much much more :D
    ~Rolfe

    ReplyDelete