Tuesday 18 August 2009

Linda Hamilton - what would you do?

This is a must-see video on Youtube, especially for anyone who lives in a big 'uncaring' city.

Living in London, you see selfishness and inconsideration (rush hour in the underground and getting onto buses) everywhere and its something which often shocks a lot of newcomers here. The problem seems to be the sheer number of people crammed into small spaces and a culture which is wary of strangers, so much so that even I am guilty of walking around oblivious to the things going on around me. For example, it was my South African bf who pointed out the many crackheads that walk by - something I'd never 'seen' before. Maybe it is some kind of unconscious coping mechanism, because its so easy to reason things in our minds to make ourselves feel better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49YQhTLoGuA

Regardless of how a person looks or is dressed, they may still be in need of help...and really who are we to judge who is deserving and who isn't? I will admit to walking back from a night out years ago and often seeing a guy lying on the floor at a bus stop reeking of alcohol and a beer can or bottle close by. Whilst I still wouldn't have approached the guy at the age of 17 at 2am on my own not exactly dressed in jeans and trainers, I probably should have called for help. This video really was a reality check and if this blog gets a few more people to watch it then all the bette
r.

No comments:

Post a Comment