Wednesday 26 August 2009

I love charity shops!

***Latest buys***

Ethnic-style Morgan top = £3
Book (Jeffrey Archer - ' A Matter of Honour') = £1
Book (Peter Hoeg - 'The Quiet Girl') = £1

...all in the name of a good cause and (almost) totally guilt-free!

Not many people talk about charity shop finds as its somehow seen as 'uncool', yet they rave over eBay or Primark (which I only buy the very odd item at due to the bad press it has received and the fact that often manufacturers have to supply at a loss, not to mention the disposable nature of the clothes). I love eBay however, but the problem of online shopping remains; that you never know exactly what you're getting until it arrives. Add the costs of p&p, it is often easier to get down to London charity stores if you have the time. My local Cancer Research UK even has changing rooms. Mornings are the best times. I went straight after my Physio appointment, got there around 10am and spent about an hour just browsing at the piles of 'new' stuff that had just been put out. I found a nice DKNY skirt on the racks too amongst all the Primark cast-offs. It just didn't suit me.

***Latest job news: UNEMPLOYED STILL***

No other interview invites for moi and so have now switched to looking for work experience opps in well-known international companies in the field I'd like to work at. I figured the only way to get a foot in the door may be to prove myself through an initial expenses-only paid work placement with the way the job market is at the moment.

For example:
1) Management Trainee role at Meltwater Group - over 2000 apps for 4 roles. I submitted on the deadline and they got back to me approximately 4 weeks later saying they'd just had a chance to review my app and wondered if I'd be interested in pursuing a role at their new Canterbury, Cardiff, or Manchester offices. I asked them to hold my CV on file for anything that arises in London or Cape Town.

2) Research Assistant role at Insight Research Group - 300 apps for 2 roles. Slightly fewer but then again Market Research is probably one of the less glamourous sides of Marketing...albeit one that I really enjoy!

These are some of the numbers I have on enquiring after my application to give you an idea of just how tough it is right now. I'd assume those newly redundant with much more proven relevant work experience are being given such roles.

Although, even competition for unpaid roles seems to be ridiculous :(

***Latest visit: PHYSIO***

I had a Physio appointment for my foot this morning at 9am...the bad news: turns out I'm not as full healed as I thought I was after a whole bunch of new exercises, the good news: I can get back to the gym to start building up my strength again slowly. The problem: I've been out of the gym nearly three months now and feeling lazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment